Saturday, January 31, 2009

Overwhelmed By The Fog... A Confession


FOG! “A mass of wet air difficult to see through.” The definition seems woefully inadequate to describe the overpowering fear of driving “blind” in the midst of a dark cloud. Familiar objects seem to disappear, distance becomes impossible to measure and time stands still as you creep through that which impairs visibility and altars the reality of all that is true in the light.
While no official fog warning has been issued, there has been a heavy fog cast over the Light of Truth in my mind this week. Listening to the evening news and hearing the heartache and struggles of some who have been personally impacted by the economy etc. created a thick mass of ….well, let’s just be honest… fear.
The reality of the present and the looming sense of the future made it difficult to see clearly in the midst of this fog. Familiar truths seemed more difficult to recall. Truths like:
The mountains might shake. The hills might be removed. But my faithful love for you will never be shaken (Isa. 54:10)
There is none like God, who rides through the heavens to your help, through the skies in His majesty. The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms (Deut.33:26-27).
The Lord is faithful; He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one (2 Thess. 3:3).
Those truths didn’t change, but in the fog, I experienced an altered perception of them as a sense of heaviness settled in my heart. My mind, soul and body grew weary as thoughts like, “What if...” and “How will we ever…” reeled through my mind. Sleep seemed oh, so appealing; food amazingly comforting and reality… God’s reality… His Truth became increasingly impaired in my mind’s eye!
But God. Those are two of my favorite words in Scripture; often used amidst seemingly impossible situations (Gen. 8:1; Gen. 21:17; Gen. 45:7 and many others!). I was overwhelmed in “a mass of reality difficult to see through”. But God, being rich in mercy, broke through the fog by reminding me:
He is the Bright Morning Star (Rev. 22:16).
He is the One who turns darkness into light and makes rough places smooth (Is. 42:16).
He is light and in Him is no darkness at all darkness at all (1 John 1:5).
And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. (2 Peter 1:19).
The Morning Star rose in my heart again today! No, life’s challenges haven’t changed… but I’ve been reminded, once again, of the One who holds all things in His hand… the One with whom there is no darkness… no fog ( Ps. 139:12)!
Oh, how my heart rejoices tonight that He is a lamp unto my feet a light unto my path!

1 comments:

Laura said...

Carrie, I am so grateful you posted these thoughts! The last time I flew back into Chicago from Houston, I was struck by the beauty of the sun on the clouds as we were cruising at 30,000 feet. But then we started our decent into the clouds and the fog and landed in a gray, cold city. I remember praying the Lord would help me to live above the clouds this winter, realizing that the SON never stops shining, even though the clouds may obstruct my view for a time.


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Free Ebooks